Derek was raised by his mother on their ranch near Waco, Texas after his father died in a plane accident when he was six-years- old; as a result of that tragedy, Derek is compassionate with his clients and passionate about his work for the injured and those that have lost loved-ones due to the negligence of others. Derek focuses his practice on wrongful-death claims, catastrophic injuries, admiralty claims and excessive-force cases. He is also a proficient Spanish speaker.
Derek is married to Shana Merman; they have three children, Gretchen, Clara and James Bruce. They attend St. Luke’s Methodist Church in Houston. They enjoy fishing, hiking, biking, playing at the park and eating good Texas BBQ. The Merman family supports several charities locally and nationally focused on education and helping people that have suffered recent tragedy.
The Merman Law Firm was founded in 2007 with the express purpose of treating clients like family and giving injured people a powerful advocate capable of taking on any corporation or entity.
- Derek is licensed to practice law before every State and Federal Court in Texas and Iowa
- Derek is licensed to practice in the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals and
- The United States Supreme Court
Derek is a member of the following associations:
- American Bar Association
- Texas State Bar
- The Maritime Lawyers Association
- National Trial Lawyers Association
- The Houston Bar Association
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association